The history of the production of TEDOM engines by the Engines Division of TEDOM a.s. (Ltd.) continues the prosperous tradition of car production in the Liberec region.
The tradition of engine production is connected with the firms RAF and SKODA. RAF, based in Liberec, sold its first vehicles in 1906. At the beginning of the First World War it merged with Laurin & Klement, which is now ŠKODA Mladá Boleslav. At that time an automobile department was established in SKODA Plzen that was specialised in the production of tractors and trucks. The production of trucks returned to the North Bohemia region with the centre in Liberec in 1951. Jablonec nad Nisou became the centre of engine production.
TEDOM a.s., Engines Division is the successor company of Liberecke automobilove zavody – LIAZ (Liberec Automobile Works – LIAZ) that was originally established in 1953. The company underwent massive technical and operational development and became an internationally recognized company that exported its products successfully to many countries around the world.
In 2003 the company became a member of TEDOM Holding, which had long been an important customer of LIAZ engines. The engine production is incorporated into the TEDOM Holding as an independent division based in Jablonec nad Nisou.